ledgersmb.org is a good starting point

Not perfect but rapidly improving. It's a fork from SQL-Ledger, uses perl/postgresql/apache etc

I use it for basic ledgers but it also has stock control and invoicing and point of sale among other things. It has warehouse functions too, which sounds like it might help you. It has an active user base and developers which is always a good thing.

I think when it comes to stock control, nothing is easy unless you have no
stock.

David

Ben wrote:
I'd like to use some accounting and stock control software.

I run a computer business and I want to track the purchase price of parts
and correlate them with sales invoices.
I'd like to be able to categorise parts based on where they are stored.

It would be good if I could get it to work with a barcode scanner for both
products and serial numbers in the future.

I don't know what double entry accounting is, and I don't want to find out
unless absolutely have to. Ideally a book keeper would be involved at some
stage.

I only want to be able to generate a list of:

 * Money in this quarter
 * money out this quarter
 * parts on hand

And in the future, it would be nice to be able to look up invoices for
warranty parts based on serial numbers.

FOSS or pay for, I don't mind. Emphasis on EASY.

I've tried to use MYOB but the ensuing psychiatry is too expensive.