Others have raved about Django and mentioned Rails - I'll rave about Rails :-)

I confess that in the mid 90's I was an Access programmer; I find programming in Rails to be almost as easy as Access programming, but giving you a web frontend on an open-source stack.

When I was researching frameworks a few years ago, what tipped me towards Rails was that there was a lot more books available for Rails than Django, and this still seems to be the case. Pragmatic Programmers have a lot of Ruby/Rails books, but for a beginner I would recommend "Build your own Ruby on Rails Web Applications", Lenz, published by Sitepoint.

Sonia.