<quote who="david">

> Hi Jeff...
>
> From my original post:
>
> > System/Preferences/Network Configuration GUI tool fails with the following
> > message:
> >
> > Updating connection failed: nm-ifupdown-connection.c.82 - connection update
> > not supported (read only)
>
> So now that the lovely clever gui tool doesn't work, what do I do next?
> can't because they are now mysteriously over-written or silently ignored!

Well, a) that's not the GUI tool I directed you to (it's no longer relevant
in Ubuntu 8.10, so you should uninstall it) and b) I did mention in my mail
about how you can go back to the config files and NM will very happily let
you do it (by ignoring the interfaces you've configured).

> We are being dumbed down. I'm quite happy to have simple tools for my Mum,
> but surely in a perfect world the simple tools would advise us what's
> going on under the hood. At the moment it seems to be as secret as
> Windows.

The tools would "advise" you? Like "Hi David's Mum, you don't care about
this, and it's more than likely to confuse the fuck out of you, but I'm now
editing BLAH BLAH BLINGDEE BBZZZT WIDGET. Have a nice day!"

As a technical user, there are certainly methods for you to better
understand what is going on underneath the covers, but there's no reason to
expose that machinery to users who don't give a shit. (And it's not quite as
simple as "generated from ...")

Due to advances driven by NM, I haven't edited /e/n/i on a desktop or laptop
system for years. I switch between VPNs, wired and wifi, and most recently
plugged in a 3G card... and it all "just works". I happen to grok what's
going on under the hood, but I don't have to care about it, so I can spend
more of my synapses on stuff that actually matters.

Making computers do the stupid shit for us helps both we computer-interested
and the non-computer-interested. That's what they're for.

> Meantime, I still can't permanently set my search domain.

I'd encourage you to follow the actual instructions I provided. :-) [Hint: I
pointed you to the NM configuration tool under System > Preferences, not the
old one which should no longer exist under System > Administration.]

- Jeff

--
OSDC 2008: Sydney, Australia                    http://www.osdc.com.au/2008/

                      Hunch, n.: U.S. Foreign Policy.