Grant Allen wrote:
> Phil Scarratt wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Wondering what people's recommendations/experiences with document
>> management systems (or ECM systems) are?
>>
>> I've got to select a DMS/ECM for a non-profit organisation (actually a
>> publisher) and have Nuxeo, Alfresco and OpenKM on the shortlist.
>>
>> TIA
>> Fil
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> 11 years in that industry must be good for something, I suppose :-).  Of
> the three DM/ECM products you mention, I have experience with Alfresco,
> and passing knowledge of Nuxeo (as well as far too many brain cells
> wasted on their proprietary brethren, e.g. Documentum, TRIM,
> Stellent/Oracle, IBM Content Manager)
>
> There are a few issues outside of technology that you should think about
> regardless of your choice.  Are you after DM, or the whole ECM
> box-and-dice? (RM, DAM/Image management, Archiving, workflow/bpm, WCM
> ... and DM).  There is overlap, but ECM is a cumbersome beast if all you
> want is DM.  Are you prepared for the cost/effort?  Not talking about
> software here, but the key to successful DM/ECM projects is managing
> them as a change management exercise, which means "people" costs.
> Making the change to a managed DM/ECM environment is often a huge
> cultural shift, and the best technology can wither and die if the
> organisation has a bad reaction.
>
> On the Alfresco front, it definitely has some advantages.  There's local
> support here in Sydney, the product has a great roadmap, and John
> Newton's team seem quick to pick up the technology trends in ECM (e.g.
> they had CMIS prototype support in the same month the standard was
> announced).  Given my particular biases, I like it because it's also
> technology agnostic under the hood, giving you OS, database and app
> server choice.  Another big plus is that it is definitely a "growing"
> product and company.  You aren't going to be left with orphan-ware in
> two years' time :-).  Other current trends they seem to be following are
> heavily tied to collaboration, so if that's a current or future
> requirement, it has some benefits.
>
> Probably the only major gotcha I'd warn about is the enterprise version
> trap.  Some of the nice bells and whistles are only available in the
> paid version.  No problem with this, per se, it's their business model
> and best of luck to them.  They do, however, have an unusual support
> model where support partners agreeing to partner with Alfresco on the
> enterprise edition are contractually bound to *not* support the
> community edition.  Again, that's not really a technology issue, more a
> business one.  You are in luck again, as there are both kinds of support
> available here in Sydney - enterprise partners who only do enterprise
> support, and other support outfits that support both (without the "ent.
> partner" label).

> [...]

Very informative, thanks Grant - *much appreciated*. There are really
only 2 definite areas that are of interest - DM and workflow. Archiving
could potentially be useful, depending on complexity of setup.
Collaboration could also be useful, but I have not done any research
into what specifically that entails, and hence I am not sure how well
that would go with the file formats being used (PDF and Adobe Pagemaker,
some Quark Express). The organisation is basically a
translator/publisher type deal.

Fil