> what was wrong with Xandros - which the 701 shipped with?
it wasnt debian.
Ok, but I have had problems installing basic debian...and went with the knoppix distro in 2004.

Thats fine with me.

There are a number of distributions based on Debian. Some users might want to take a look at these distributions in addition to the official Debian releases. This is done for a number of reasons (better localization support, specific hardware support, simplified installation, etc).
# Ubuntu
# Xandros

Thus the joy of open source. However im 100% pure debian, with the exception of my bsd fetish.

Dean
--
http://fragfest.com.au