mark adrian bell <m487...@rocketmail.com> writes:

> I'm running Xubuntu on an Eeepc. I don't run a web server or an ssh server or
> telnet or ftp or rsync or anything like that. Am I correct in assuming that I
> don't need a firewall, or should I install Firestarter just in case?

One of the design features of Ubuntu, initially, was that it should have
no need of a firewall out of the box — nothing listening on the network
at all.

Assuming that you don't run any network services you absolutely do not
need a firewall ... but.

The but, in this case, is that a firewall you don't need now might save
you one day when, for example, you install a package that pulls in a
network service — and the cost of the redundant firewall is pretty
small.

Regards,
        Daniel