Have a similar problem with an 8 gb thumb drive.

Haven't worried too much about it as I have several others, but so far I've put the "problem" down to the mobo not fitting tight enough against the back-plate of the case, thus that particular thumb-drive doesn't quite fit in deep enough for a good connection.

Just a thought.

Bill