On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:00:06 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 11:15 +1100, david wrote:
> >> I have a directory tree, plus an approximate copy of the same tree.
> >> du reports 35mb for one and 36 for the other. They  are quite complex
> >> trees.
> >>
> >> My task is to figure out where and why they are different. Is there a
> >> simple way to do this? A kind of diff for directories/files/filesizes.
> >
> > rsync using a dry run?
> >
> > Ken
>
> Nice idea! but unfortunately all the time stamps seem to have changed
> somewhere in the copying process.  Great idea for some situations though.
>
> The problem with kdiff3 and komparator is that they both demand vast
> amounts of k-dependencies that I would rather not install (this is a
> server). Not sure why they need esound-common and many other apparently
> irrelevant packages, but i'm sure there must be a reason.

<forgive me :-) I'm playing the devils advocate>
WHY
> that I would rather not install (this is a server

idealogically you don't want to waste a few $ worth of disk space by
idealogically not giving a krap about the $100s that everyone who has read and
replied to your query has cost?

What have we all learned: don't be stupid use the tools that do the job

A whole suit of other solutions rear their heads, eg knoppix, live CDs,
MemSticks, but you get the idea

James