On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 14:17 +1100, Ken Foskey wrote:

> My system has begun pausing badly today and Nautilus is running 4 Gig
> virtual and 1 gig real,  this would seem to be part of the problem.
>
> There is nothing really obvious on top.
>
> Any suggestions?

I ended up rebooting and everything is back to normal.

Is it possible that Nautilus is holding four copies on the background
images?

1 for each desktop  (two of them,  and I had the images scaled)

and it changes  on startup, automatically by a script, to one of the
other backgrounds.
    hence 2 desktops,  X 2 copies all scaled and therefore stored in
Nautilus.