Jack Olszewski <ja...@hermes.net.au> writes:
>> Only heard good reports of monowall
>>
>> But for mine, iptables is easy enough once you understand it.  ...
>
> Firehol, a pretty high level language of writing iptables rules
> (http://firehol.sourceforge.net/, also available as an rpm package)
> might be of help. It is for me.

I strongly recommend firehol if the OP is looking to use a generic Linux
system to build a firewall and router from.  OTOH, I understood from his
comments that what he really wanted was to replace one appliance with
another, even if it was Linux underneath.[1]

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Actually, given the way many modem/router appliances are built
     these days it may well be Linux underneath in both cases, but the
     "on desktop hardware" version is likely to be less resource
     constrained.