Sorry - this is getting off topic from where I was looking for a
trustworthy (ie Linux) firmware on a drive box.  But discussion all the
same . .

Maybe speed is important in some apps, but not my main concern.  What if
you had just forked out $3k to digitise some (ok -  at lot of) slides,
delivered on DVD by the contractor.  Step 1 - put them on secure drives
- you probably have 14 days to complain about if the DVD worked or not.
Step 2 - work out some form of storage that's going to be longer lived
than the slides themselves (don't tell me about DVD longevity).  Step 3,
split storage so that you have some sort of fire protection.

Kevin.

This whole "data retention over many years" thing is a both a huge problem and a huge opportunity for the industry.

We are seeing a lot of activity in commercial backup offerings. (Backup your stuff to the cloud). This is really catching on in the US.

My approach is to have to 1) A good local NAS (my DNS-343) with RAID 5 and 2) Some DAT tapes. DAT tapes don't work for most people (the drives are expensive, etc ,etc) but I have DAT tapes from 1995 which are still readable and the 40G format works for me.

I think GP has two choices: 1) Backup to the cloud 2) Buy a second NAS, sync it to you primary every couple of months and take it off site.

Barrie