On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 12:29 +1100, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> * Robert Collins <robe...@robertcollins.net> [2009-03-19 12:02:41 +1100]:
>
> > On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 11:46 +1100, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> > > Is there any reason why you want to use a *distributed* VCS? For
> > > personal stuff it's probably overkill, and using a centralised VCS will
> > > make your life easier. In which case use Subversion.
> >
> > Whoa there Tonto. Using *nearly* any DVCS is simpler for personal use
> > than using a centralised client-server system like svn.
>
> Why?
>
> I'm still learning git, but one of the things I found annoying was that
> I need to commit to the local repo, then merge my changes up my
> "central" git repo, then commit my changes on the "central" git repo.
> (Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way, I'm only up to "page 2" of the
> manual). Whereas with a centralised VCS check in only takes one step.

You are doing it wrong; you're learning git :). In bzr it can be one
step (if you do a checkout, like in svn). However, one of the main
things common to most DVCS is that you don't _need_ a central
repository, you simply have one repo which you can push places to back
it up.

> However I can see the advantages mentioned by John Ferlito of better
> branching in DVCS's. And of course if you've regularly got limited
> connectivity, a DVCS is the only way to go.
>
> PS You might want to lookup what "tonto" means [1] before you go around
> calling people it. It was a term of disrespect for Amerindians on the
> US/Mexican border in the 1800's. At least be grammatically correct, and
> call me "tonta" :-p
> [1] http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/tonto

I was (mis)quoting the Lone Ranger, I thought.

-Rob