I should clarify;

But then if I do a chmod -R 664 *.jpg (and
> repeat for all other extensions), for some reason the chmod doesn't work.

it works in the directory I'm presently in, but doesn't recurse.

Kind Regards

Kyle

Kyle wrote:
Hi Sluggers,

I'm having a bit of grief with chmod and am hoping one of you gurus will set me straight pls.

I have a bunch of directories with a bunch of files (pictures) in each. I want to set directories to 775 and files to 664.

I can do a chmod -R 775 *. But then if I do a chmod -R 664 *.jpg (and repeat for all other extensions), for some reason the chmod doesn't work.

the man page says; 'chmod -R ug=rwxX *' (if I understand it correctly) should change just the directories permissions for owner and group. (and I could do an o=rxX after). But that just works on everything as well.

What am I missing?