Hi,

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:00:29 +1000
Rick Phillips <r...@greyheads.net> wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied.  I have had "fun" looking at the suggestions
> and trying some of the cpanel type replacements.  VHCS http://vhcs.net/
> is very good and very complete from what I can see but like a lot of
> open source stuff, very lacking in documentation.  I would have opted
> for that except that in the absence of really good detailed
> documentation, I decided that the customers would be as confused as one
> could possibly get.  If I had the luxury of time, I would have put it on
> a spare machine and written some docos myself, and that may happen yet,
> but not right now.

Just an FYI. VHCS was forked a little while ago and you will find it at
isp-control.net. ispCP has a few of the 'bugs' fixed and is moving at a
faster rate than VHCS is. I used vhcs to host about 200 domains for a
couple of years and didn't have any massive problems but like any
control panel there was a few short falls. With a little massaging it
was a nice system. Much nicer than the commercial ones and less bloat
for the customers to 'fiddle' with.
If you do decide to install VHCS or it's fork feel free to fire of a
question or two if you get stuck on anything.

> In the end, I opted for vsftpd in a chrooted environment.

Some times simple is the best. Less overheads to manage.

--
Regards
Mick Pollard ( lunix )