damage to the hardware then the Manufacturer could claim it wasn't their
fault and void the warranty, but manufacturers barely know if the hardware
they supplied was faulty let alone what caused it.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Marghanita da Cruz <marghan...@ramin.com.au
wrote:

Martin Barry wrote:

I meant to reply to this earlier but must have deleted Margharita's email,
so sorry about the threading breakage but...

 From: Marghanita da Cruz <marghan...@ramin.com.au>
and for the eeePC, this mob seems to be offering a Linux install on the
Asus Eee PC S101 - presumeably they also offer the option of Xandros.

<http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/nsasusEPCS101-BRN026X.html>

This is a nice offer but not only are you still paying the Microsoft tax
you
are also paying for the Linux install.

Might be good for someone new to Linux but I can't see many SLUGers taking
them up on it...

 I think you missed my reference to Xandros - the Linux Distro that
ASUS/eeePC
uses. While I haven't checked this mob out, I was speculating that they may
be
able to supply the  Linux version of the Eee PC S101.

Yes, I have noted the discussion on SLUG about installing various Distros
on
the 701 - which shipped with Xandros Linux. However, I thought it was
interesting
that this mob were offering such a service.

Using Linux should not require you to install it. Also the enquiries have
been
about suppliers of Linux Netbooks and Laptops - presumeably I am not the
only
one looking for a hardware manufacturer shipping a box running linux.
Changing
the operating system complicates warranties. I would like to be able to
recommend Linux boxes to clients - but can't if the manufacturers warranty
is
affected.

It would appear you get more for your buck if you go with the Linux option.

I'm awaiting response from Asus on pricing and U.S. availability for the
Eee PC S101. I will update this post with that information as soon as I get
it. Until then, I will say that it's been widely reported that the S101 will
be priced as follows:

Windows XP, 16GB SSD: $699
Linux, 32GB SSD: $699
Linux, 64GB SSD: $799

Update: Asus confirmed the above pricing, but it will not sell the two
Linux-based models in the U.S. The Windows-based S101 will hit the U.S. on
November 1 and will feature a 16GB solid-state drive and a 16GB SD card,
plus 20GB of online storage.

<http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10061003-1.html>

Marghanita
--