Jeff
Most wide screen computer monitors have a pixel ratio of 16:10, unlike TVs
which are 16:9... thus, the usual "HD" resolution for computer monitors is
1920x1200, not 1920x1080. "HD" monitors have been available in Australia for
ages, so I'm wondering if you mean something else.

The HD Monitor I was referring to is the BenQ E2400 HD, which has a res of 1920 x 1080 and a HDMI input ( as well as D-Sub and DVI-D) and supposedly 16:9.

(http://www.cx.com.au/Product-Detail.asp?ProductID=38164)

as opposed to the E2400WD which is 1920 x 1200.

(http://www.cx.com.au/Product-Detail.asp?ProductID=39356)

Regarding my cooment about availability in Aust, I was more referring to not having seen any 24" Widescreen Monitors on display in shops, let alone a HD one - unlike when I was in Osaka last Oct - they, and bigger nits, were everywhere.

That doesn't sound right -- such recent video hardware should definitely be
able to handle 1920x1200 (let alone 1920x1080). Perhaps you have a config
issue? A few questions:

 * Which distro are you using?
 * Since plugging in your new monitor, what have you done to reconfigure X?
 * Are you using a DVI or VGA cable? (VGA is normal 15 pin socket, DVI has a
   wider socket with more interesting connecty-bits.)

Havent purchased a new monior yet. Am ensuring that whatever I buy actually is compatible with Linux - had problems some time ago when I purchased an LG 20" widescreen and it didnt work at its default 1680 x 1050 until xorg was updated. I dont bother with proprietory drivers. My distros ( on desktops) are Kubuntu 8.10, and on my Atom CPU Intel mobo PC I am currently running the PC User Mags distro of XBuntu Netbook which I believe is only 7.10. It ouputs at 1680 x 1050 to my 20" LG w/screen, even though the documents say max output is 1600 x 1200 for the onboard GPU. I am about to install XBuntu 9.04 DEsktop and will try Eeebuntu 2.0 Base, which as a live CD doesnt provide a good DEsktop fit ( too high).

3 Desktops ( 2 NVidea and the Intel GPU) only have CGA output, and one (Nvidea) has a DVI.

As I am running most of them through a KVM with only VGA and PS2 connectors I havent used the DVI output.

I dont doubt that the Vid Cards will probably run 1920 x 1200 ( they currently handle 1680 x 1050 fine), but dont know about 1920 x 1080.

Also, unless I get an adapter for VGA to HDMI there is little point in getting a monitor wih such a connection.

(You shouldn't have any trouble sorting this stuff out, btw: I have a pretty
crappy nVidia GeForce 7300 GS in my TV computer, running a large, HD, wide
screen TV at 1920x1080; my desktop has a bog-standard Intel built-in, which
pushes pixels to a 24" 1920x1200 screen via DVI, and my Atom-based EeePC can
also push 1920x1200 via VGA...)

- Jeff

Well, if your EeePC can push 1920 x 1200, I guess that my Intel board will also,

Thanks for the reply.

I must mention that when I posted I wasn't entirely at my best, having jus come home from Hospital after an overnight stay and was - and still am - flying from the meds they gave me :)

Bill