2009/5/18 Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbot...@gmail.com>

> > > It's driving me nuts; i've spent the last couple of hours
> > > twiddling knobs like crazy and making repeated calls to the test
> > > service.
>
> What I do after checking the sound levels with a gui based application
> is install another sound level controller.  Let's see..
>
> sudo apt-cache search sound ...
>
> alsa-firmware-loaders
> lib32asound2-plugins
> alsaplayer-alsa
> alsamixergui
> alsa-tools-gui
> ubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> Yes, I know it doesn't sound all that sensible but I found that after
> installing Jaunty Jackoffalot some things were missing.  I had to play
> around with apt-cache search for a while to find what I had missed.
> Don't know what this is about :)  Other than that it's a hardware
> issue.

What a mess this is!
Found this skype forum:
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=334081
I'd like to follow the advice of one of the posters at the end but my sound
settings aren't the same.

Seriously thinking about downgrading all the long, sad way back to 8.04 -
well, it crossed my mind.
I'm screwed if it's skype's fault and they don't update; I'm potentially
less screwed if it is ubuntu.

Nuking pulseaudio didn't do anything.

Installing all of that junk above didn't do anything.

Game over.

--
Daniel Bush

http://blog.web17.com.au