That isn't right!  The RHEL kernel should have a whole bunch of modules,
and their being missing is not a good sign.

[snip]
...because your kernel is screwed.  Try reinstalling that to get all the
modules in place, then give IPSec a shot again. :)

The thick plottens!

The box that I'm trying to make be the VPN peer is a Virtual machine which is running Virtuoso and it's kernel has been deliberately "screwed" to prevent kernel modules from being installed because "they represent a security threat to the other VMs" at the ISP. Seems that there is only one kernel running that is shared by all the virtual machines, not sure of the details but bottom line is, no kernel modules!

So my mate will now have to consider his options and will probably have to move to a dedicated server environment. In the mean time I'm going to try and set a VPN up from another test box with a real kernel that does support modules.

Ah who'd give away computing for a life in the Bahamas? ;-)

Pete