Is this a hardware raid? pull out the suspect disk and put it back in again. It could be a loose connection. Check all the connections. If hardware raid you should see it rebuilding again. Check the raid card setup. Check that the scsi termination is correct. Also the scsi ID that the disk is set to is usually handled by the scsi card so i don't think it's the scsi id. possibly termination.
I don't know anything about linux software raid or if it even does it.
Ben

Hongduc Nguyen wrote:
Hi sLUG,

Was hoping someone can help confirm or point me in the right direction with
this error on my server. SDA is a brand new drive, it was replacing another
disk which was displaying similar symptoms. Is it the motherboard, or am I just
unlucky and got another bad drive?

DMESG (snippet):
raid1: Disk failure on sda3, disabling device.
        Operation continuing on 1 devices
sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00040000
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1087
raid1: sda1: rescheduling sector 1024
sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00040000
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1087
raid1: Disk failure on sda1, disabling device.
        Operation continuing on 1 devices
raid1: sdb1: redirecting sector 1024 to another mirror

var/log/messages:
Device: /dev/sda, not capable of SMART self-check
Device: /dev/sda, failed to read SMART Attribute Data

Thanks,
HD Nguyen

Please consider our environment before printing this email.
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential
information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or
privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been
transmitted to you in error. If you have received this e-mail in error you must
(a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) notify
itsupp...@customware.net and the sender immediately; and (c) delete the
original e-mail.