Sounds like bad memory.
Replace memory or pull out all memory chips bar one if possible. See if you can isolate which chip it is.
I've had this before.
Ben

Adam Bogacki wrote:
Hi, I have just installed lenny on a machine with 800MHz
AMD Duron chip, 1Gb RAM, 63.3 GbB /usr, & 320Gb /home
yet get hanging and/or rebooting after opening applications in two screens (usually update/upgrade as root and mutt or a browser).

My previous etch system with 733 MHz PIII and 733 Mhz RAM
could handle 10 or more screens running various apps at a time.

Any ideas about what I should be looking for ?

Adam Bogacki,
a...@paradise.net.nz