I had port 22 open for a few hours yesterday but closed it when I noticed the
following. He was evidently working from a list; most intruders seem content to
try a few password guesses for root/guest/mysql etc. Many of his usernames seem
pretty unlikely. Perhaps I should set up a honeypot account with audible alarm
so I could see what he was upt to. Here are the first couple of lines he
logged, followed by `uniq -c` of the rest.

Jim Donovan

Aug 13 14:43:14 phenom sshd[4919]: Did not receive identification string from
122.225.38.45
14:53:47 phenom sshd[5252]: Invalid user roto from 122.225.38.45

      1 thx1138
      1 0123456789
      1 root123
      1 r00t