I think the problem is caused by a lack of a keep-alive process. Filezilla v2.x had this, but it seemed to disappear in v3. However, the current version (3.2.7) is promoted as having this feature - http://filezilla-project.org/client_features.php NOTE: there is a linux version, too although I haven't used it.

I've only installed 3.2.7 today, so can't comment on the effectiveness of the keep-alive.

I still recommend Filezilla - I use it at work and it's never let me down.

Pete

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
Voytek Eymont wrote:
what is a good ftp client for windoze ?

From memory, which could be faulty,
I used ftppro on Win95. It still seems to be around.
<http://www.ftppro.com/>

Does anyone have recommendations for FTP clients for Linux?

I use pftp at the command line...but others prefer something prettier.

Marghanita

I have a user with Filezilla, since he moved ISP, his Filezilla times out
with my ProFTPd on Centos (but, it worked till now with the former ISP)

googling brings similar issues elsewhere;
increasing timeout in Filezilla didn't help

I can log to the ProFTPd from command line, and, upload with no issues

I suspect the issue is with Filezilla rather than at the ProFTPd end ?

---------------
Response:    220 FTP Server ready.
Command:    USER domain.com.au
Response:    331 Password required for domain.com.au
Command:    PASS ************
Response:    230 User domain.com.au logged in.
Command:    SYST
Response:    215 UNIX Type: L8
Command:    FEAT
Response:    211-Features:
Response:     MDTM
Response:     MFMT
Response:     MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
Response:     MLST
modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
Response:     REST STREAM
Response:     SIZE
Response:    211 End
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is the current directory
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to I
Command:    PORT 192,168,97,49,226,65
Response:    500 Illegal PORT command
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (116,197,145,51,175,75).
Command:    LIST
Error:    Connection timed out
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing