Does it burn a CD?
I"ve got a DVD drive that is faulty (i believe) because it won't burn a DVD under Linux or Windows but will burn a CD. It's definitely a DVD writer. What can yours do? How old is it? Under warranty? Take it back to the shop you got it from and ask them to test it?
Ben

bill wrote:
I've tried Kubuntu 8.04, Xubuntu 9.04 and LinuxMint7 (Ubuntu 9.04 I think) on different PCs with different DVD-RW drives.

All drives will "copy" a double layer DVD to an .iso file, but none will record the .iso to an 8.4 gb double layer (single-sided) DVD+R (Teac).

I've googled endlessly and while I find many with the same problem, nobody seems to have a solution.

Many posts mention mkisofs and how it is no longer included in Ubuntu, having been replaced with genisoimage and I've found posts that say that double-layer dvd's can be burned under Suse, I havent found anything mentioned about being able to do the same under Ubuntu (or derivatives).

My LG GSA-4613B dvd-rw sees the blank disk correctly, as do my other DVD-RW drives, but none will write.

I have set the DVD size to 8.4gb in K3b, and I have tried Brasero and Gnomebaker. None will burn.

Any advice or links appreciated, else I'll do a temp install of Suse to see if that does work.

Thanks

Bill