I've just installed Ubuntu Jaunty and have most things set-up ok (old install is Kubuntu 8.04), including finding replacement apps under gnome for those I've used under KDE.

What I want to do is symlink my /home/bill/Documents;Videos;Music;Pictures folders to another folder :- ie /home/bill/DATA/documents

I tried :-

ln -s /home/bill/DATA/documents /home/bill/documents

without success as opening /home/bill/Documents does not go to /home/bill/DATA/documents

ls -all /home/bill/documents

shows
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bill bill 25 2009-09-04 19:02 /home/bill/documents -> /home/bill/DATA/documents

What did I do wrong? Or are those folders setup in such a way by default that they cant be symlinked?

Bill