I'm finding it difficult to believe there's no simple web based firewall
configuration tool. I'm going to be running a cut-down Ubuntu-Hardy off
compact flash (read-only root filesystem) with mini-httpd and wish to be
able to configure either shorewall or ufw or even iptables directly with
a web browser. I can add in the bit that does the OpenVPN client config.

I guess for round one it'll be non-customer configurable and I'll just
login with SSH and use ufw.

I have looked at Fwbuilder and am tempted to go with that. It would
essentially push out the configs via SSH and execute them... assuming
the unit is reachable.