Tim Bayfield wrote:
Greetings SLUG,

Can anyone advise if there is a USB Wireless Broadband device from any of the ISPs which will work with a PC based Net Book running Linux?

*
Telstra Series 7.

Model: MF636

You need to turn off the device's functionality as a thumb drive and not as a modem.

From here (and other places): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1005910

*You can try the following steps:

1. on WinVista through control panel ADD the extra init command *AT+ZCDRUN=8*
2. try to connect once with the providers s/w (WinVista)
3. remove the above command through control panel (WinVista)
*

Sending this command to the device is essential to un-paperweight it: **AT+ZCDRUN=8*
*
Then you have to make sure that usb_serial is loaded for the device.

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

Then just plug it in (to Ubuntu) and it gets found and enter your pin and you're off.

We use these for all our staff's laptops running ubuntu.

Big Note: DO THIS:::: **AT+ZCDRUN=8 first (and only once).

Sounds a pain but it should only be done once.

Cheers

**
*