jam wrote:
On Thursday 01 October 2009 10:00:04 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
We use Westnet Huawei e169 usb drives on 701 EEEPC's
I guess any reseller that uses Optus as a carrier will be the same.
We use Mint and it has worked on Puppy and Ubuntu
 The default E program wont find 3g networks for us.
The trick is to get the settings right for APN and the dns servers for your
ISP. There are no pass words.
I have to say Westnet were very unhelpful, for the first time in five
years. But Linux is a mystery to them it seems.

Did not iinet just absorb westnet. Hmmmm

They certainly did, however most 3g carriers are just reselling optus.

Regardless, huawei modems have excellent linux support. Network-manager will configure them happily, and the relevant ppp options are easily googled.

Using them on linux is much less painful than on windows or mac...

Dean