On Thursday 08 October 2009 08:36:45 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> I've read that sinking it in an oil bath reduces the noise and gets rid
> of the heat quite well...
> Sunflower oil is OK but pure Aceite De Oliva Espanol Moro Pure Olive oil
> is best.
> Make sure it's the 100% pure (no cholesterol) so you can also drain it
> six monthly and cook some hot chips in it as well.
> My Italian wife swears by it.
>
> Ciao,
> Ben
>
> Ken Foskey wrote:
> > My computer is too noisy.   It is not graphics because it is not used
> > much and when it does there is enough background noise.  It is the power
> > supply and cpu fan that kicks in with cron at 2 am in the morning.
> >
> > I was thinking about adding fluid cooling,   is this worth it or else
> > can I where can I get a powerful 24 hour home system that will run
> > quietly?

I'm sure that lots of people have their favorite solutions
Mine is ANTEC NSK1380 case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAvdOd_VBnQ
I use AMD BE2350 dual core, a couple of TV cards (Twinhan and DIVICO) and a 1T
WD green caviar disk.

This server draws 30W (at the meter with a stopwatch) and you can't hear it in
the same room.

(cause it's low power the CPU fan is not WINDING)
For bigger boxes the passive CPU coolers are kewl
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/  CPU PARTS -> AMD SOCKET 2 -> FAN COOLERS

You *can* get quiet without the technical overload.
James