Scott Finneran wrote:
Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
2009/10/11 Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbot...@gmail.com>:
Hmmm...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1556944/linux-saves-aussie-
electricity

" QUICK THINKING open sourcerers might have saved an Australian power
supply system after its electrical grid control room network got
infected with a virus."

Winduhs ... my friend for life....

A slight exaggeration :)

Had they kept their OS and anti-virus up to date, they would have had
some protection against what felled their systems.

However, considering that they were using Windows as X terminals for
Solaris servers, one wonders why they weren't using Linux.

I've worked with SCADA systems on and off for nearly 20 years. For me, the real question is why were the machines in the control room accessible from or needing access to the public internet?

(Which to give credit where it's due, was highlighted by the security consultants towards the end of the article. This has become a common problem in SCADA and to a lesser extent process control systems in recent years, so my eyes rolled before I hit the end of the article.)

Scott