I am about to upgrade a HP notebook to a larger hard disk (replace the 90Gb
disk with 500Gb) and double the RAM (from 2Gb to 4Gb). In addition, to
complicate matters, I would like to LVM on the larger disk to manage the
linux partitions.

This is the final stage of my slow move from Windows to Linux. I have the
luxury of having two HP notebooks with similar but not identical hardware
specifications (NC8430 and 6910p) to test various aspects of the migration
(Virtual Box, video drivers for Ubuntu, etc). the current situation is that
one machine has my Windows XP environment and the other my Ubuntu
environment (Jaunty).

I want to end up with a Windows partition and LVM managed Linux partitions
on
HP NC8430, 500Gb HDD, 4Gb RAM

Here are the requests for advice:

1. What do I need to do to get Ubuntu to use 4Gb RAM? My current Jaunty
installation only recognises around 3Gb.  Is this just a kernel upgrade
or ....

2. How complicated is it to move my "linux setup" from a single partition to
the lvm partitions on the larger disk.  My latest thought is to:
a. update Ubuntu on the hard disk to match the current working environment
(fix apt-get config files and/or dpkg -l on both and diff them, and them
update)
b. If I copy /usr and /var from the working environment to the new
environment will that cause problems? (it will save re-installing some
software that isn't managed by apt)
c. copy /home from working environment to new disk (recommended method?
rsync to new drive connected via USB?)
d. use pgdump / pgrestore to move postgres databases across
e. Backup new disk
f. find out what doesn't work? What have I missed?

Thanks, in anticipation
Bill