I am posting this "fix" in the hope it helps others.

I have no idea why this happens.

In my local development environment I use /etc/hosts and an apache vhost
file to set up domainname.local.

This situation was a long domain name where the business name begins
with the letters "the". I altered the /etc/hosts file. Copied a working
vhost file. Altered the vhost file. I used the entry thedomainname.local.

I expected to go to the root directory where I am developing. I got the
default root of the dev box.

apachectl -S  syntax OK

apachectl -t the vhost domain was in the list as it should be.

I altered the logs files to a special one and it was created as
required. No entries at all, ever.

In desperation I altered the /etc/hosts file and the ServerName to:

domainname.local.

That was the only alteration. All working.

I have absolutely no idea why this works. Hopefully it may help others.

Regards,

Ashley Maher