Robert Collins <robe...@robertcollins.net> writes:
> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 19:31 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>>
>> PulseAudio is awesome. We've desperately needed something like it in the
>> Linux desktop ecosystem for a very long time. Ubuntu's integration (and
>> lack of co-ordination with upstream) is... not so great. Sadly, this means
>> that a huge majority of folks are not seeing PulseAudio operating at its
>> best...  and end up blaming it. Hopefully, the Ubuntu desktop developers
>> will spend a bit of time polishing up the PulseAudio integration in their
>> next release (an LTS, so polish is very much the focus).
>
> There seems to be some FUD around about the integration aspect :).

Heh.  Let me assure you, the integration question wasn't FUD: it is firmly
grounded in fact.  Well, at least, "was", in the sense that the first Ubuntu
with PulseAudio *really* screwed up.

They shipped PA, which at the time blocked the sound card full time and
continuously played silence when not playing anything else.

They also failed to ship anything to configure asound to send output via
PulseAudio, so anything that tried to use ALSA would block against the locked
soundcard and never get to output audio.[1]

Plus, playing sound 24x7 ran down laptop batteries some, which made some folks
unhappy.

So, yeah, I don't blame upstream for being unhappy about the whole thing.

Anyway, to go to the source:

This one has the specific discussion of Ubuntu; search for the distributions
bit a bit of the way down the text:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/jeffrey-stedfast.html

Other commentary:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...and, yes, I was there at the time, and I did see this roll-out in
     production, and it did fail in exactly this way.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.