Kyle <k...@attitia.com> writes:

> Both valid points Daniel, but tell a 9yr old not to search for whatever
> naughty stuff it is that happens to be floating around school.

Please, don't get me wrong: I am not suggesting that your desire to police
this is wrong, or anything like that.  I hope you succeed, even if you don't
think it is likely.

> Take into account that not everything that should be behind youtube's 18+
> section IS actually behind the 18+ section and you get the picture.

*nod*  Actually, one of the biggest problems[1] is that there are a huge
number of briefly existing "collect the free bits" sites out there, usually on
some random blog or other...

> For now, I'll settle for blocking things in-house. I can't control what
> happens outside. At least not fully.

*nod*  Anyway, the dansguardian stuff is pretty decent, and hopefully will do
what you want.

Um, and I forgot to suggest: you might also call your ISP and ask them if they
can offer anything by way of a solution.  For all the moral panic about
needing to implement this stuff a *large* number of ISPs previously offered a
filtered connection service at a fairly reasonable price.

That actually *improves* your solution, because (A) you don't need to support
it, and (B) you are going to have to pay that anyway.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...I know this because I /have/ been called on to deal with these
     questions in a work context, where stronger "adult" tastes come into
     play, on a few occasions.  Since you ask.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.