2009/11/2 Daniel Bush <dlb.id...@gmail.com>:
> I was following Rick's recent post about penetration testing with some
> interest.  I'm looking at complying with anz e-gate for e-commerce
> transactions.  ANZ has this declaration form for internet sites that you
> have to sign.  One of the tick boxes says "Do you operate a firewall that is
> regularly updated?"

I'm a bit late in the party but still wanted to add my two cents if that's OK.

Some relevant points I learned during the PCI DSS compliance process
we've gone through:

1. "They" also care not just about preventing people getting
unauthorised access to your server but also in making it difficult to
get data out (e.g. by someone with an "inside knowledge"). So firewall
rules should also limit outgoing connections to specific hosts. E.g.
you want to talk to specific, hopefully more trusted, DNS and NTP
servers, specific upstream SMTP servers (instead of allowing access to
just about any SMTP server in the world) and maybe specific yum update
servers, but not more. Since rules could be added to allow you
temporary access outside for specific tasks, it might be prudent to
verify once in a while that they are back to the way you expect them
to be.

2. Application firewalls can add a lot to the simple "block everything
except ports 80 and 443" iptables. I'm talking about mod_security and
having its rules updated regularly to catch attempts to exploit holes
in known application as they get discovered (e.g.
http://www.gotroot.com/tiki-index.php?page=mod_security+rules).

3. "They" care about auditing and accountability - the rule of thumb
is "no shared accounts" - if there are more than one users on the
system then each should use their own account and "sudo ..." for each
privileged command. It also makes it easier to track who did what and
when (bash HISTTIMEFORMAT='%F %T ' is also very useful, not just for
"Them").

4. SE Linux is a major headache, I seem to be in the mainstream by
disabling it for now. But it appears that once you get to learn it and
tweak it properly it can add a lot to the security on your server and
limit the damage done by a potential cracker. e.g. allow HTTP access
to the yum servers only by the yum process, or send mail only from
specific programs/scripts. The best tutorial I found about SE Linux so
far resides in http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-user-guide/f10/en-US/
(I still have to finish reading it)

In general - you can look at this as "ah yeh, the security lawyers and
paper pushers are at it again" but I found that giving attention to
these requirements and the thinking behind them makes a lot of
security sense (most times - anti-virus for purely linux environment
is pretty useless from what I've researched so far) and should end up
in more secure servers.

Cheers,

--Amos