On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 05:37:53PM -0600, Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> rkhunter creates a database (MD5SUM's) of some files, if they change
> for any reason, like a system upgrade/update, it will complain about
> it. rkhunter should be run again to get the new MD5SUM's. This applies
> for any Host Intruder Detection System (HIDS) (i.e. tripwire, AIDE,
> etc...).

Ah, thought so, thanks.    I think it would be worthwhile thing
for systems like AIDE to remove dpkg/rpm checkable files from its checks.
Perhaps as an option.

> > Anyway, this reminded me of an interesting article on ldd I read the other
> > day:
>
> I did read that article too, but who runs ldd as root? :P

Well, me, until recently :-).  But only with 'trusted' but bizarrely behaving
apps on solaris.

But running as root doesn't really matter.

A malicious app could just stick an alias for say sudo in your .bashrc
or any number of similar things - it's just the start of a possible penetration.

Matt