>> On 26/01/10 23:25, da...@kenpro.com.au wrote:
>>> After doing a routine reboot I get grub error 15 on Ubuntu 8.10
>> Does this error occur before or after the GRUB menu appears?
>>
>> i.e. do you get presented with a menu to select which kernel at
>> all, or does it bomb out before it gets to that stage?
>>
>>> When I enter the BIOS I am only getting one option for booting
>>> into a hard-drive, although I recollect that previously I had to
>>> select which hard drive.
>>>
>>> The BIOS does recognise all three hard drives as being present. I
>>> am able to mount the bootable drive from a live CD and the data
>>> appears to be OK.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions what has gone amiss?
>> It may well be that the GRUB MBR is simply looking at the wrong
>> drive for the menu.lst file. In which case, re-running grub-install
>> would be my first suggestion as a fix.

david> It bombs before the kernel list. I've tried running:

david> #grub-install /dev/sdc Could not find device for /boot: Not
david> found or not a block device.

Hmmm.  This sounds as if the mapping from BIOS to Linux drives is
broken.

Try grub-install with the --recheck option.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia