2010/1/27 Ben Burke <ben.bu...@internode.on.net>:

> Rick,
>
> Thanks - yes, that will help, though I don't think I'll get close enough to
> the problem to decide if it's ip communications or a windows dns server
> issue. (I could do other connectivity tests to the dns servers, same result)
>
> I came across these options when working with a really nasty performance
> problem, involving AIX dns clients, resolving names on win2k3 servers. At
> the time, I was being pushed to populate hosts files on dozens of unix
> hosts, rather than get to the bottom of what was going on. Eventually, we
> found that the AIX version in use would attempt ipv6 style dns client
> behaviour several times, before failing back to ipv4 behaviour. At the time,
> IBM gave us no support what so ever - just blamed microsoft. As usual, the
> way to solve a vendor war is, get to the root of the problem.
>
> I'm pretty clueless on where gethostbyname lives in the os. My guess would
> be, a shared library that many programs link against, rather than part of
> the kernel.. This was the kind of info I was looking for.

Hi Rick
gethostbyname is part of GNU libc implementation. Therefore, you'd
have to check out its resolver library to do anything serious with
`options debug` on your /etc/resolv.conf (its disabled by default for
some reason). Other implementations such as AIX which you use has it
enabled by default. AFAIK, most BSDs have them enabled too. HTH

[...]
--
Regards
Ishwor Gurung