On Tuesday 02 February 2010 12:53:19 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> My computer crashed today and I have finally
>
> apt-get install sensors-applet
>
> I found out that my temperature is exceeding 80 on both CPUs under load
> and is always sitting at 76 for the GPU
>
> I have pulled off and cleaned the fan for the CPU but I have not done
> anything about the grease.  Will this make a lot of difference?

There is much BS here. Boot the machine and bios->hardware monitor
Check temps and fan speeds

Now boot and sensors->prefs select the sensors that give you the correct
readings. Now at last you can worry if need be.
You may need to run sensors-select to prime the list

note too that if you use the on chip sensors the temp can fluctuate 10-15 deg
in 1 sec, logic notwithstanding but by ear you can hear the fan ramp up-n-down
in sync.

James