On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 14:24 +1100, Mark Walkom wrote:
> Well the grease is needed as it facilitates a higher efficiency of heat
> transfer from the chip to the heatsink.
>
> Is this a laptop or a desktop PC?
> What are the CPU and GPU chips?

Desktop.

The CPU fan has been removed and replaced twice.  Under load it jumps
from 30 to 40 and with a hot ambient (no aircon at all) climbs to 80 and
stops.  Right now sitting on 29 and 26.

The Nvidia card has a lot of cowling around the fans so I wonder how
clogged it will be.  Previously I had carpet and was in Campsie which
was bad for dust.

In summary:

- I will try and clean the heatsink on the Nvidia without removing it
and no worry too much.

- I will clean off grey goo on CPU and replace it with a thermal paste.

Thanks
Ken