>>>>> "david" == david  <da...@kenpro.com.au> writes:

david> then I got this swag of errors. I've been googling madly but no
david> joy.

david> /dev/sdb1 (root drive) and /dev/sdc1 (unmounted backup) both
david> have boot directories. It leaves me somewhat nervous about
david> re-booting. Any suggestions?

david> thanks

This sounds like grub2.  I'm not much help there --- the config files
are not documented, and the tools have near-useless man pages.

There should however be a way to regenerate the device map that tells
grub what BIOS drive number corresponds to which drive.  I have no
idea how to tell whether such a generated file is correct -- it seems
that the BIOS drive numbers change around depending on what you tell
SETUP, and how it chooses to scan the scsi, sata and IDE buses today.
And how those numbers then map onto the grub numbers (hd0,n) is also
magic.

Try running
        grub-mkdevicemap
before doing an
        apt-get -f install
to rerun unconfigured bits

and see if that helps.  Check the /boot/grub/device.map file.  It
should contain something like
(hd0) /dev/sdb
(hd1) /dev/sdc

assuming that you want to use /dev/sdb as the boot device.