On 25 February 2010 17:55, Ken Foskey <kfos...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> We all know we should do it.  Provide a monitoring system to see how our
> system loads are going.  I have a couple of links that look interesting:
>
> http://flapjack-project.com/
> It is local so goes first :-)
> Flapjack is a scalable and distributed monitoring system. It natively
> talks the Nagios plugin format.

Heh, thanks for the mention. :-)

I wouldn't recommend using Flapjack right now unless you want to be
testing bleeding edge stuff that is guaranteed to break, or you're a
Ruby hacker with an inkling for sysadmin.

I'd argue that you're conflating two types of software: statistic
collectors (with graphs), and alerters/notifiers.

For statistic collection, you cannot go past collectd[0]. collectd is
very lightweight (it's written in C), has a plugin architecture (and a
boatload of plugins to boot), and is network aware (you can collect
stats from all your servers and aggregate them in one place).

collectd has a few options for graphing: collection.cgi,
collection3.cgi, and Visage[1]. collection*.cgi are CGI scripts (duh)
that use RRDtool to generate graphs. Visage draws stats in the browser
using JavaScript + SVG.

collectd also has a Nagios bridge, so you can plug it into pretty much
any alerting/notification system out there.

Hope that helps!
Lindsay

[0] http://collectd.org
[1] http://auxesis.github.com/visage (disclaimer: I wrote it)