"j blrown" <gonz...@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Just had my 5 mth old 1 terrabyte Samsung HDD start clicking like crazy when
> I turned on PC. First and last Samsung HDD - I'll stick to Seagate from now
> on - never had a problem with them

...just for reference, every hard disk vendor out there has had a bad batch at
some time or another — and even without that, there will always be some
hardware that dies in the first six months of use.  Personally, one failure
wouldn't turn me away from a vendor forever, because it simply isn't enough
information for any reasonable conclusion.

> Is there a utility that might recover some of my data? Disk only partially
> used, divided into 2 x 500mb partitions of ext 4 (I think).

Can you actually read the device at all, or is it failing to respond with data
at all?  If the later, you might try putting it in a water-proof container, in
the freezer for a few hours, and then giving it another shot.

That may unstick it long enough to get the data off, or maybe just some of it,
without substantial risk.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707