On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:42 PM, david <da...@kenpro.com.au> wrote:
>> Finally for about $35 you can buy USB adapters for SATA + IDE so you can
>> plug one of your new drives into the target computer and bypass the 1.5T
>> backup drive.
>
> Sorry for slightly hijacking the thread.. but my experience of these gadgets
> has been universally bad (read: didn't work at all). Have they improved in
> the last year or so?

I had one I used at my previous place of employment which we bought
from Lindy - and it worked flawlessly - plug into HD, plug in power,
plug into USB - bingo, external hard disk. PATA, SATA, even laptop
drives - no difference.

I used it frequently for quick data recovery jobs (from dead PC's
without damage to the disk, for example) and for moving data around. I
think the most data I moved using it was somewhere around the 280 gig
mark.

https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?anonymous=true&cat=f0

It's a bit more than $35 ($60 plus shipping) but I know from
experience they work. Comes with power supply for the drive as well as
the USB adapter.

N.B. I must admit I only ever used it with WindoZe machines, not Linux
boxen. The specifications say it's only compatible with 'Doze and Mac
machines. but I see no reason why they wouldn't work with Linux
machines as well.

DaZZa