I second Perl's DateTime module.

It is by far the best time API I've ever seen, if only because it
utterly refuses to give you an answer that isn't strictly valid, and
throws exceptions if you blink at it wrong.

This results in a very rapid learning process where by you are forced
to learn how to phrase the question you REALLY want answered instead
of just asking it naively and getting garbage-in garbage-out problems
later.

Once you've adapted to things like always giving it timezones (because
there's lots of things it won't answer with floating timezones) and
understanding that it's going to answer "How long from 2:30am today
until 2:30am tomorrow" with simultaneous answers in days, hours and
seconds (all three of which won't divide into each other necessarily)
you really appreciate it.

I've yet to see anything else that is even close.

Adam K