Kevin Fitzgerald <k...@tcgtech.com.au> writes:

> I need advice. In a nutshell I have a customer with a 5 Disk Software RAID 5
> on an old Fedora Box (The Archive Box). Recently, after a power failure, Two
> of the drives did not re-join the Array when the machine came back up. DMESG
> tells me that they are Not Fresh.

Take an image of the disks, because if you mess this up you lose the data.
The cost of three new disks and copying them won't hurt that much.

[...]

> Assuming the disks are there and OK, How do i "Freshen" them up and re-build
> the software RAID array?

>From mdadm(8) in the 'Assemble' section:

  -f, --force
         Assemble  the  array even if the metadata on some devices appears to
         be out-of-date.  If mdadm cannot  find  enough  working  devices  to
         start the array, but can find some devices that are recorded as hav‐
         ing failed, then it will mark those devices as working so  that  the
         array can be started.  An array which requires --force to be started
         may contain data corruption.  Use it carefully.

> I need to be careful as I dont want to do more damage while trying to
> re-build.

Image the disks first.  There is no guarantee of safety in this.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707