Richard Ibbotson wrote:
...  Shame the PHP stuff in Lurid Lynx 10.04 isn't quite there just
yet.  Maybe an update in a few weeks for Ubuntu.

The PHP stuff in 10.04 is perfectly OK 5.3, it's just that (as some folks have already pointed out) there are significant enough changes in the object model of PHP 5.3 so as to break a LOT of web apps.

All Drupal versions that I have tested so far (which I admit doesn't include Drupal 7) are broken on PHP 5.3. It will probably take wordpress time to catch up as well, and that's just the major ones.

PHP 5.3 includes a lot of fairly forward-looking changes that were originally slated for PHP 6. The justification for doing that's been argued about quite a bit in the PHP community.

--
Del
Babel Com Australia