Ben Donohue <donoh...@icafe.com.au> writes:

> I really don't understand what is going on here...
>
> I have a folder structure that is replicated several times by linking the
> base folder

A hard-link, or a soft-link?  I am guessing the later, since you can't
hard-link a directory, but it isn't entirely clear.

If you mean "cloned by hard-linking all the files" then the answer is rather
different to what I am about to give you.[1]

> Some folders down within the master folder I have two files called 1.jpg (a
> picture of a computer mouse), and 2.jpg (a picture of a computer)
>
> When I look at the linked folders via konqueror and with thumbnails on, I see
> the files correctly.
>
> When I delete 1.jpg and then rename 2.jpg to 1.jpg, some folders show a
> picture of the mouse, others show the picture of the computer.
>
> What's going on here?

It could be that you are seeing a cache effect, where the system has a copy of
the file in either an HTTP cache (if you are accessing this via the web) or a
local icon cache.

> Everything should be a picture of a computer.  Why are the linked
> folders/files not updating with the changes of the file name?

Assuming they are soft-linked directories, so the change actually happens to
the one single "real" directory, cache effects.

> (browsing to the linux box via a windows computer show the correct computer
> image in all the linked structure)  I've turned off caching in konqueror.

Maybe it needs more of a kick to do the right thing?

> The reason I'm asking is that I'm importing the images into a joomla site
> and the images are now incorrect. I've traced it so far to the linking I
> think...

Given your description, it sounds suspiciously like HTTP caching, but it is
hard to be sure.  Does the access log for Joomla show that the image in being
downloaded by the client, not just a "not modified" response?

Does Joomla maintain an internal cache of, say, rescaled images that might
need to be flushed?

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Specifically, when you "delete" a file with hard links, you only remove
     that one name associated with it.  The other links are unaffected.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707