Del> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>> <quote who="Del">
>>
>>> Someone asked me today, as they often ask me about things Linux,
>>> if I had a Linux replacement for their favourite "journal" app
>>> that they run on their (windows) PC.  I asked what that journal
>>> app did, and was told:
>>>
>>> "You can set it to track when you open files of various types [in
>>> other applications] and how long they are open for.".  Further
>>> quizzing revealed that you can set it to record when those files
>>> were opened, saved, closed, and when and where any saved and
>>> backup copies were stored.

You could do this with inotify, with `just a few' scripts around it.

Peter C--
Dr Peter Chubb                                  peter DOT chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au               ERTOS within National ICT Australia
All things shall perish from under the sky/Music alone shall live, never to die