On 13/08/10 09:43, Ben Donohue wrote:
 Hi Amos,

Actually I was typing the command incorrectly... I'll admit it...
So I didn't need to find an alternate superblock, however I did have to run e2fsck.

e2fsck is still running... I wonder if anyone else has had e2fsck running for a few days fixing errors and after that the system came up ok?

Is it a given that if it takes a few days to repair a filesystem, it must be smashed beyond repair?... I'll know when this thing finishes!

Yes I have a backup of the data... just interested in whether e2fsck will fix it.

Last time I remove all snapshots at once from a ESX server! One at a time now...

Anyway to find the other superblocks I found the answer on...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/recover-bad-superblock-from-corrupted-partition/

|dumpe2fs /dev/sda2 | grep superblock|

...gives the locations of alternate superblocks.

Ben

Are you removing them using the vmware tools or just deleting the files it makes?