> I'm trying to use qemu to host a Fedora 13 guest.

On that note, be aware there are vast differences in the speed of
applications running on qemu virtual machines, depending on the host
system. Eg, BOINC on Debian or Suse running inside a virtual machine,
with an Ubuntu 10.04 host is about 10 times faster than on Slackware
13 host (MIPS measured by BOINC software). I am guessing this is due
to Ubuntu kernel being built with kernel same page merging, and
Slackware without, but am not sure.
Also inexplicably, having the host OS boot from an external usb hard
drive causes major drop in the speed of the virtual machine, far
beyond what would be caused by disk access times. I am not sure why
this happens.
Brett.